Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Shootout on Whiskey Row

The adjustment for me moving out here was easy. The hardest part was the first 20 minutes I arrived (7/19) and walked around the Courthouse Square. Meandering around, shaking off the dust from the road, people would walk by and said "Hello". Or people sitting would say "Hi" as I passed. This really freaked me out. I knew it was clear that I was an out-of-towner but I didn't realize I had a target on my back. Were these people sizing me up? Mocking me? I was so shaken up--which is a rare occurrence--that I had to call my brother to help me make sense of what was going on. In the NYC metro area, you're lucky if people notice you enough to get out of the way when you're walking, let alone acknowledge your presence by speaking to you. I didn't know how to handle friendly people. But once I saw this poster:
I knew I was home. Sorry New Jersey, but cowboys and In 'N' Out means our relationship is no more than dust in the wind...
The Shootout on Whiskey Row, takes place, of all places, on Whiskey Row, a small stretch of South Montezuma Street in Prescott (pronounced Press-kit). For two days the block is open only to pedestrian traffic checking out street vendors selling art, jewelery and Southwestern wares and paraphernalia. The above view is of the "stage" where reenactments of famous Western scenes take place. Below, the man on the left wants the woman to quit prostitution and marry him but she likes the attention and money. Doc Holliday has come out into the street upon hearing their quarreling.
Doc Holliday, after a scuffle with the concerned would-be suitor, busts a cap in his ass:Communication is the backbone of relationships; I bet she regrets not talking to him: Video of the shootout at the OK Corral, the most famous gun fight in Old West lore. They did a good job of reenacting it, considering it's what the avant-garde might call "Guerrilla Theater":

There was also a contest in which Old West acting troupes staged original plays. These are context-less photos from some:
"Whoooo-eee! We got ourselves some prescription-grade stuff, partners!"


"Listen old-timer, I don't care how many stars that flag has! I say it's still 1880!"


The naked cowboy's cousin?Let's play a game. Post a caption for this picture:


What was great about this day was that it gave a chance for everyone to get into the spirit of the Old West. It's just like Civil War/American Revolution reenactors:
"Well, Ma, I guess you didn't listen when I told you I'm drivin'..."Next post: Welcome to Prescott!

2 comments:

  1. You must be in heaven, then, huh? lol I can't believe I've never heard of this and I've lived here my whole flippin' life. LAME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos...great writing...why am I the only one left in NEW JERSEY???? Mom

    ReplyDelete